Friday, April 16, 2010

Good things

There are so many good things about being 40.  Even though menapause is knocking at my door, blagh, I'm blessed with an incredibly brilliant little girl, a husband who's still by my side after 15 years, and I still have a knack for learning new skills!  I sitll have the privilege of a good read, regularly!   I look forward to the days of no more post menstrual aches and pains and hormonal imbalances that drive me to the edge of mental breakdown.  That's rough, and these hormones a'mine whoop my ass on a monthly basis; and, somehow my husband and I survive.  Keeping busy helps....Marissa, knitting, gardening, reading, drives and walks around town, and iced tea. 

I recieved an email that made me so happy I just wanted to run around the house!  It would seem I may be heading back to my old school...that's exactly what I wanted for my darling little Marissa.  It's an exemplary school and I know how hard those teachers work.  Marissa deserves that.  I hope the available position is 1st or 2nd, but I have a feeling it will be higher.  We shall see.

On a tighter note...I learned how to knit Portuguese style and I really love it.  I'll practice to pick up speed and work on my tension.  I need a new tool, one of those pins..tensioner??? Whatever it's called, I need one.  I started my friend Anna's jumper but stopped because I didn't like how it draped.  I opted for a more traditional baby yarn and it feels soft. 

I went to the MeetUp group at Barnes and Noble.  After picking up a cup of decaf at Starbuck's I browsed the mag racks for a while (started getting nervous which is so not like me -cute).   Thank you Verena Knitting for distracting me long enough to forget that I was about to meet a bunch of experienced knitters for the first time, not to mention knit in public!  It was all worth it.  I had a lovely time and everyone was so approachable...no snobs, none at all.  One young lady, Nicole, even taught me how to purl through the back loop.  As ridiculous as that sounds, it is possible!  We talked and knitted.  Sarah knitted a lacey scarf in a beautiful deep teal color, the actual color name escapes me at this moment - I'll remember later (maybe).  I sat next to Leslie, knitting a hat, and next to her were sisters ( I think) Kim and Stephanie.  Becky, brought her pattern book and knitted a blue shawl, another Sarah was knitting a 7 hour afghan (or was that 7 days???), Diana was stitching the seams of child sweater and Perry was knitting a scarf in white.  Earlier, I looked through my projects trying to decide which one I should take.  I would be talking so, it had to be straight knitting and/or purling, not sticky patterns.  Eyeletes?  Yarn overs, yeah, I could handle that and still listen in and participate in conversation.  I took a ball of peaches and creme and started a lacey mock cables dishcloth.   I did fine, but I should have chosen a simpler pattern.

I love that I got to talk about Marissa and how I learned to knit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment